Saturday, January 14, 2006

Justice Alito: say goodbye to your freedoms and rights

The New York Times has a good editorial on supreme court nominee Alito, pointing out that his testimony, often referred to in the press as cautious and non-controversial, is actually pretty worrisome. I'm really pretty scared of this guy. I feel the US. is on a precipice, ready to plunge into something between a 1950s-style America of repression, blacklists and a clamping down on free expression and liberties,and the version of this country portrayed in The Handmaid's Tale. Unfortunately the Republicans are so powerful that they can really rewrite this country now, twisting it to their will. I think the only chance we have to retain any true semblance of American freedom and Democracy is to get the Republicans out in the next election, but I have no confidence in spite of all the Republican corruption scandals that the Democrats are prepared to make a strong enough case to the American people to convince them there is a viable alternative to Republican sleaze. With Alito on the court and Republians probably still in charge for the next decade I think you can expect this country to be completely trashed, a resort island for the rich in a sea of poverty, misery and oppression. And I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way we're heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment